The world is changing every day, and with that, the possibility that you might become the victim of a home burglary increases. With 4.3 percent of all homes in Australia burglarized each year, it might be time to think about what you should do to improve your home's security.
If you have never thought about increasing the security around your home before, there is a chance that the idea might be overwhelming. The good news is, after today, you will have the knowledge and tools necessary to protect you, your home, and your family.
5 Ways to Improve Your Home's Security
Protecting your home doesn't have to be expensive, and knowing some of the best ways to enhance the security of your home can save you from a life-or-death experience. With Australia having the seventh highest rate of burglaries in the world, leaving your home security up to chance is just reckless.
Here are just 5 simple ways you can improve your home's security today:
• Motion Sensor Lights:Placing lights strategically around your property that activate by a motion sensor can help a lot! They can be a difference between having your home burglarized and the burglar never getting to the door. There is no physical barrier when it comes to motion sensor security lights. The concept is more psychological. The burglar will assume that the lights are triggered by the homeowner, and more often than not, they will flee. Statistically, confrontation is not their goal. On top of that, even if they know it was a sensor, lights will make the homeowner aware of their existence, which is an effective way to get caught. Motion sensor security lights are a passive way to keep your family and your property safe.
• Motion Sensor Cameras: While cameras are more of a way to document what is going on around your home, modern motion security cameras will send an alert to the homeowner’s phone to let them know that someone that is not supposed to be there is sneaking up. This will allow you to reach out to local law enforcement so that they can come to protect your home. An added benefit is that, even if you are not home, you will still be notified. Just because your safety is secure doesn't mean your home needs to go unprotected. Since most burglaries happen during the day because they know you are at work, this is a great way to prevent anything from being stolen. This also ensures prosecution as the burglar’s identity can be captured and used as evidence.
• Doorbell Cameras: Doorbell cameras are very similar to motion sensor security cameras considering they are a motion sensor camera, except that their quality and location make them a valuable addition for your front-of-the-home security needs. Doorbell cameras capture the potential intruder just before they enter the home. These cameras will alert you as they approach your door and even allow you to communicate with them. If you are not home, you can bluff and say that you are. You can also alert the intruder that the police are on the way. This line of defense is very off-putting to a potential intruder as they are hoping for a smooth, no interaction experience. Taking advantage of this simple home intruder deterrent can protect your home and family from potential harm.
• Lock All Windows and Doors: This might sound like a no-brainer. Of course, locking your windows and doors is something you do every day before you leave and every night before bed. But do you lock the upstairs bedroom window? How about the small basement windows? Some home intruders are quite clever and will canvas the entire home. An open upstairs window is a potential entry point. Especially as some homeowners will absentmindedly store their ladders on the side of the house. A determined burglar will grab the ladder and climb in through the second-story window. They will get what they need. So, first you want to lock all doors and windows. Then, you will want to make sure all tools and ladders are stored where they cannot be used. This will prevent easy access to your home.
• Home Security System: By now, you are likely googling "Security companies near me.” Having a good alarm system and company working beside you can save you big time. They can stop a break-in resulting in property theft and violence by deterring it from happening altogether. That's not the only thing a home security system can provide you with. They can contact law enforcement for you and ensure that every inch of your home is protected. Taking advantage of the tools and expertise that your local home security company has to offer will ensure that your home is safe from any and all potential home intrusions.
• Bonus: Dogs are one of the biggest deterrents to home invasions. You don't even need a large guard dog to protect your home. Commotions scare dogs, and they make a ruckus that will wake the entire house. Just one bark from your furry friend can send an intruder packing. The fear of the homeowner being alerted is enough for your home to be safe. Your harmless pug can be the best line of defense your home has from home intruders.
Secure Your Home Today
Knowing what you know now about local home intruders and how to protect your home, the next step should be fairly obvious. Your home's security is extremely important. Leaving it up to chance is not a wise decision for you and your family.
Go online today and schedule an appointment for an at-home security consultation. The process is quick, and the benefit of peace of mind alone can help you sleep soundly at night. Protect your family today.